One of our community priorities is housing.
Each post related to this topic can be found below the list of additional resources:
Our 5 – Year Neighbourhood Housing Plan:
Province of Manitoba
Housing repair and development programs:
A complete list of the programs available can be found on their website or by calling 204-945-5566.
Other provincial programs
- Green Energy Equipment Tax Credit: For geothermal and solar energy installations
- Secondary Suites Program: Provides financial assistance to eligible homeowners to construct a secondary suite / “granny flat” in the form of a forgivable loan for 50% of the total construction/renovation costs to a maximum of $35,000 per suite.
City of Winnipeg
- Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program: The City of Winnipeg and Province of Manitoba offer a subsidy program to help homeowners protect their basement from flooding caused by overloaded sewers during severe weather. More information can be found on their website or by calling 311.
- City of Winnipeg homeowner information page: For homeowner information regarding zoning, permit and building code.
- Power Smart: Offers a number of programs, rebates and financing plans to assist in making your home more energy efficient. A list of the programs available can be found on their website or by calling 204-480-5900. They include:
- You can also order a FREE EcoSmart Water and Power Saving Kit for your home
Good Neighbours Active Living Centre
- Home Maintenance Program: Designed to help you complete tasks at home. The program provides you with names of individuals within your community, who are able to do various jobs at reasonable rates. More information can be found on their website or call 204-806-1303.
Other Neighbourhood Development Corporations
The following neighbourhoods have Neighbourhood Renewal Corporations that may have renovation grants available to residents:
- Central Neighbourhoods (Centennial, Central Park and West Alexander)
- North End
- Daniel MacIntyre St. Matthews
Rental Info for Tenants and Landlords:
Winnipeg Rental Network: http://www.winnipegrentnet.ca/
- Chalmers Home Buyer AssistanceRead full article...
Is my family eligible checklist
Application Form: For the full application form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 204-333-9867 or pick it up at 180 Poplar.
- MB Non-Profits are an Essential Part of the COVID-19 Community Response Read full article...
- Boost My Block: Garage / Shed Demolition Read full article...
- RentSmart Certificate Course Read full article...
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: September 16, 2019
The Chalmers Community Renewal Inc. (CCRI) in partnership with the Chalmers Neighbourhood Renewal Corporation (CNRC) and Neighbourhoods Alive! Province of Manitoba, has established a Small Grants Fund for fiscal year 2019/20 with a maximum project amount of $2,500.
The purpose of Chalmers Community Renewal Initiative Inc (CCRI) is to support community development initiatives, strategies, projects and programs that address poverty related issues in the Elmwood community neighbourhood of Chalmers.
Please fill in the application with details on your project / activities. The application form can be expanded or shortened to accommodate, if needed. Please see the 2019-2020 Small Grant Fund brochure for further information/ details on applying.
If you wish to apply, please download the application form and brochure:
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: September 16, 2019
- Spring Cleaning? Bulky Waste Drop off is coming soon!Read full article...
Download the 2019 drop-off poster
- Home Repair Workshops! Spring 2019Read full article...
Starts April 3!
To register, contact Liz at 204-333-9867 or email@example.com for more information.
- NEW Home Buyer Assistance Program and Home Readiness Workshops – October 2018Read full article...
NEW deadline for applications to the Home Buyer Assistance Program: midnight on Monday, October 8.
Get help with a Down Payment and Closing Costs of up to $14,000 toward the purchase of a home in the Chalmers Area. To be eligible, applicants must have a lower-income with 1 or more dependants, attend 5 Home Readiness Workshops and qualify for a Pre-Approval on a mortgage from a bank or credit union. Pick up an application form at 180 Poplar Avenue or go to
- “Calling Chalmers home” article in the HeraldRead full article...Read all about “Calling Chalmers home” in the Herald!
- FREE Home Readiness Workshops and Home Buyer Assistance Program this April!Read full article...
FREE! Home Readiness Workshops
Wednesday Evenings 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm at 180 Poplar Avenue
- April 4: Renting versus Owning a Home
- April 11: Cost of Home Ownership
- April 18: Finding the Right Home
- April 25: Professional Help for Home Buying
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Childminding and Refreshments.
Any Questions? Call Liz at 204-333-9867 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Poster: Home Buyer Assistance Program Poster 2018 PDF
Application Homebuyer Assistance 2018 (1) (click to download)
See more Housing Related Programs here: chalmersrenewal.org/housing
- Chalmers Community Renewal Initiative (CCRI) Annual General MeetingRead full article...
Chalmers Community Renewal Initiative (CCRI)
Annual General Meeting
November 6, 2017
7:30 pm – 8:00 pm, 180 Poplar
RSVP to email@example.com or (204)669-0750
- 5th Annual General Meeting: Wednesday, September 27th, 2017 at 5:30 PM – 7:30 PMRead full article...
If you live, work or participate in the Chalmers neighbourhood of Elmwood please plan to attend this annual celebration, confirmation of Board of Directors and update of the Annual Action and 5 Year Neighbourhood Plans.
Please visit our website at chalmersrenewal.org or contact us for more details.
Chalmers Neighbourhood Renewal Corporation’s Annual General Meeting and Community Celebration is on:
Wednesday, September 27th, 2017
at 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM
located at Elmwood EK Active Living Centre 180 Poplar Ave.
There will be: Door Prizes, Dinner Served, Entertainment & Child Minding Available
Please fill in the following information and send it back to us via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 204-669-0750:
Number of people attending:
Do you require childminding at this event? (Yes/No) (If yes, please list the number of children and their ages.)
More information about the flower bulbs given out at the AGM:
At the AGM and Community Celebration there will be packages of flower bulbs for people to take home courtesy of the Winnipeg Bulb Project. Individuals commit to: planting their bulbs in a place the broader community will be able to see them bloom, and to share the photos and/or allow the Winnipeg Bulb Project or Chalmers Neighbourhood Renewal Corporation to take photos of the flowers blooming in the spring. The Winnipeg Bulb Project, through the generous support of its donors, supplies spring-flowering bulbs to charities and homeowners in lower-income neighbourhoods. To donate to the Winnipeg Bulb Project please click here.
To learn more, check out a previous year’s AGM Video – all about the 6 neighbourhood priorities!
- Backlane Numbering – FREE Program!Read full article...
Do you live in the Chalmers Neighbourhood?Did you know only 23% of us have a back-lane address? These number plates are crucial for directing emergency services such as ambulance, police and fire department and By-Law enforcement when needed. This is one way we can improve safety in Chalmers, one of our five Housing Plan goals. Chalmers Renewal has been approved for City funds to provide back-lane number plates to Chalmers homeowners!First make sure you are a Chalmers Neighbourhood Resident by checking out our MAP. Simply fill out the form and send it in!or Please download the word document to fill out (and sign the waiver for installation help if applicable):For FREE Backlane numbering
- Home Repair Workshops – Presentations AvaialableRead full article...
On Monday, April 24, 2017 as part of the 2017 FREE Home Repair Workshops, Chalmers Neighbourhood Renewal Corporation hosted 2 presentations:
By-Law & Livability by the City of Winnipeg and Repair Programs by Manitoba HousingIf you couldn’t make it to the workshop, we’ve got you covered! Simply download the PDF documents of the presentation here:
Scheduled: Apr 24, 2017, 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Location: 180 Poplar Ave, Winnipeg, MB R2L 2C3, Canada
“City By-Law and Livability / Manitoba Housing Repair Programs” is part of a series of FREE Home Repair Workshops brought to you by the Chalmers Community Renewal Initiative. To register, contact Liz at 204-333-9867 or email@example.com
There will be: Door Prizes, Child Minding and Snacks!
For every workshop you attend, enter a draw for gift certificates to local stores! Chalmers Residents can also enter in a draw for one of eight $300 Gift Certificates toward materials for their 2017 interior or exterior home repair project.
If you are planning to apply for a Home Fix-up Grant, you must attend at least one workshop to qualify.
- Bite Back- Tips on Identifying, Combating, and Preventing Bed BugsRead full article...
Please click on the link below to download a presentation about Bed Begs.
Bite Back- Tips on Identifying, Combating, and Preventing Bed Bugs:
Bite Back- Tips on Identifying, Combating, and Preventing Bed Bugs (PowerPoint Presentation)
- SAFER CLEANER CHALMERS presents Information about Community By-law Enforcement ServicesRead full article...
Anyone can call 311 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to refer By-law infractions anonymously AND homes with notices from By-law will get a higher rating when Home Fix-up Grant recipients are selected in the spring.By Law Presentation by City of Winnipeg (download the PowerPoint Presentation by clicking on the link OR scroll down).
- “Safer Cleaner Chalmers” Information Sessions for Homeowners and Tenants at 180 Poplar Ave.Read full article...
Safer Cleaner Chalmers FREE WORKSHOP SERIES – Fall 2016
Information Sessions for Homeowners and Tenants at 180 Poplar Ave. in the Art Room
Thursday, October 13, 7-9 PM
-City of Winnipeg Neighbourhood By-Law and Liveability “Question and Answer”
-Graffiti Removal Program for paint vouchers, graffiti wipes, and waiver forms
Thursday, October 20, 7-9 PM
-Residential Tenancy Branch “Question and Answer” on Repair Issues, House Rules, Bedbug Control, …
– Poulin’s Pest Control products and information by Taz Stuart
Tuesday, October 25, 7-9 PM
-Winnipeg Police Service “Question and Answer” with Community Officer on Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (SPTED)
-Elmwood EK Neighbourhood Watch Patrol information and volunteer opportunities
Call, email, or text Liz to register at email@example.com or 204-333-9867
SNACKS, CHILDMINDING AND DOOR PRIZES!
- Home Repair Workshops are FILLING UP FAST so sign up today!Read full article...
How to Find and Hire a Contractor was well attended last night with high ratings on finding resources. This free Home Repair workshop will run once more on April 21 followed by FIXING PLUMBING on April 28. A few seats still left.
Grant applications for exterior home fix-ups are starting to come in. Make sure to apply before the APRIL 29 DEADLINE to get up to $1000 for homeowners and up to $2500 for landlords. Call Liz Plett with any questions: 204-333-9867.
- Apply for Home Fix-up Grants & FREE Workshops today!Read full article...
Chalmers Community Renewal Initiative (CCRI) is now offering Exterior Home Fix-up Grants. The purpose of the Grant is to improve your property’s safety, exterior quality, or appearance and to extend the physical life of your home. Your property must be located in Chalmers. Download the application form by clicking the link below:
COMPLETED APPLICATION DUE BY APRIL 29, 2016
CNRC is also offering the following FREE Home Repair Workshops (all located at Lord Selkirk School, 170 Poplar Avenue on Thursdays 7:00-9:00 PM):
APRIL 7 How to Find and Hire a Contractor
APRIL 14 How to Find and Hire a Contractor
APRIL 21 How to Find and Hire a Contractor
APRIL 28 How to Repair Plumbing
MAY 5 How to Do Electrical Repairs
MAY 12 How to Patch and Paint
MAY 19 How to Insulate Homes & Fix Foundations
JUNE 2 How to Maintain Your Home’s Exterior
and Manitoba Housing grant information
CHILD-MINDING! SNACKS! DOOR PRIZES!
Contact Liz at 204-333-9867 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to register for child-minding.
CHII funding is subject to approval of Manitoba Housing
- November 16 – Notice of Special Meeting: Amending CNRC By-Laws and Articles of IncorporationRead full article...
-Notice of Special Meeting-
For the purpose of Amending CNRC By-Laws and Articles of Incorporation (http://chalmersrenewal.org/by-laws/) as follows:
- Article 1: Purpose
- Article 6.5: Disposition of Assets Upon Dissolution
- Download proposed changes here: CNRC BY-LAW refinements Nov 2015
Please, plan to join us for this brief meeting scheduled:
Monday, November 16th
6:00 pm – 6:30 pm
180 Poplar Ave.
RSVP to email@example.com
or contact Dale at 204-669-0750
- Draft of the Chalmers Housing Plan – Available Here!Read full article...
Take time to review the next to final draft of the Chalmers Housing Plan on our website! Your upcoming opportunity to provide feedback on any aspect of the plan will take place at the CNRC annual general meeting which is scheduled for Wednesday September 23rd, 5:30 -7:30 pm at 180 Poplar. Please RSVP you plan to attend!
Click on the link below to download the PDF!
- Community Celebration and Annual AGM is Fast Approaching! Reserve your spot today (or by Sept.18)Read full article...
If you live, work or participate in the Chalmers neighbourhood of Elmwood please plan to attend for the adoption of By-Laws, confirmation of Board of Directors and update of Annual Action Plan and 5 Year Neighbourhood Plan.
RSVP – For further information of to confirm attendance (by September 18th), please call Dale at 204-669-0750 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A Housing Plan for Chalmers: Nourishing the potential of our neighbourhood!Read full article...
We are happy to announce that a DRAFT of the housing plan will be available September 14 on the CNRC website and a hard copy will be posted in the CNRC offices (180 Poplar). Feedback will be collected using a CNRC website link – and a physical comment box will also be provided at 180 Poplar. The DRAFT with feedback will be presented at the Sept. 23 Annual General Meeting of the CNRC at 180 Poplar. The final plan will be presented to the Board by mid- October and posted to the CNRC website.
What is a housing plan? How will the housing plan be used? How is the plan being developed? When will the plan be complete? To find out the answers to all your questions, check out a preview by clicking on the link below:
- Your Chalmers in Pictures… An Instagram contest for youth! Read full article...
- Neighbourhood Housing Panel Discussion & Info Session: August 25 at 180 Poplar from 6pm-7:30pmRead full article...
SAVE THE DATE!
August 25, 2015
Neighbourhood Housing Panel Discussion & Info Session
180 Poplar Ave.
6pm – 7:30 pm
Community Opportunities By-Laws and Beautification
Real Estate Trends
Renting and Owning Property in Chalmers Housing Plan Progress Update
Light refreshments available
Submit your questions for the panel and RSVP to: email@example.com
www.chalmersrenewal.org for more info …… Download our poster here: Invite: Housing planel august 25 save the date (1)
- Participate in Our Housing Survey!Read full article...
Please take part in our Housing Survey by filling out the form below or at the following link: