The Chalmers Community Plan involves 6 Neighbourhood Priorities.
When the Chalmers area of Elmwood became a “designated” Neighbourhoods Alive! neighbourhood in the summer of 2010, Neighbourhoods Alive! staff conducted community consultations and met with local stakeholders. Through that process, the community identified the following priorities for Chalmers, which were verfied and confirmed through the Renewal Plan Process.
1. Safety: recreation for at-risk kids, property crime, vandalism, graffiti, stolen bikes
2. Parks/Recreation/Greening: programming for youth, kids& seniors, community gardening
3. Community Connecting: communication, community gathering places
4. Community Services: banks, post offices, public transit & bus shelters, grocery stores, walkability
5. Health/Wellness: poverty, access to affordable & healthy food choices, newcomer & Aboriginal programs and services, family fitness programs
6. Housing: beautification, landscaping, support for homeowners & landlords, programs, vacant lots